Black-Owned Sustainable Brands
by Erin Fabio on Aug 03, 2020
We are super proud of our dedication to both inclusion and sustainability. They’re not only two of our biggest values here at OLIKA they’re also passion points of our team members and our customers - you!
As we continue to support the Black Lives Matter movement, we’ve compiled a list of Black-owned businesses who share our passion for cruelty-free, eco-friendly, and non-toxic products. Shopping with Black-owned businesses is just one small way to support the movement.
Sustainable Black-Owned Businesses Guide:
- The Lip Bar was founded by Melissa Butler after she struggled with the way makeup brands marketed unattainable beauty standards. She wanted to make an all-inclusive makeup line for women of all ages and complexions with a focus on ease and simplicity. They’re also 100% vegan & cruelty free, win-win!
- Mented Cosmetics was born when KJ Miller and Amande Johnson struggled to find the perfect “nude” lipstick for darker complexions. Mented was created because they believed that every woman should be able to “find herself in a world of beauty, no matter her skin tone.” All of their products are also vegan, paraben-free, non-toxic and cruelty free, woohoo!
- Base Butter is here to revolutionize your skincare routine! Their lightweight moisturizer, Radiate Face Jelly, is all the rage and perfect for both oily AND dry skin types. They’ve also discovered a sustainable way to remove your makeup (no more single use wipes) with their Sustainable Makeup Remover and Reusable Cleansing Cloth. Did we mention none of their products are tested on animals and are 100% vegan?
- Finding vegan, non-toxic, hypoallergenic nail polish is impossible, right? Wrong. Ginger + Liz was created when the two bff’s, Ginger and Liz, discovered they’d both had adverse reactions to the harsh chemicals typically used in nail products and the Ginger + Liz Colour Collection was born. Now, they’ve got an array of polishes all containing non-toxic, vegan, and hypoallergenic ingredients!
- Dirt Don't Hurt is a cruelty-free, vegan, and natural ingredient company that makes bamboo toothbrushes, tooth powder, tooth and gum oil, bar soap, and face and body oils. The company was founded by three sisters in 2017 after they realized the majority of their personal care products contained toxic ingredients. They wanted to develop their own alternative with safe, simple, and natural ingredients they felt good about putting on their bodies!
- Golde was founded by Trinity Mouzon Wofford with the intention of creating wellness products that look good, taste good, and most importantly, help you feel like your best self. The Brooklyn based company is centered on super-food boosted essentials for health and beauty. The products range from superfood latte tonics to face masks and are always organic, vegan, and cruelty-free!
- PLANT Apothecary sets the standard when it comes to certified organic, eco-friendly self-care products. They only use the highest quality, organic essential oils and botanical ingredients in their skincare products for the ultimate vegan and cruelty free beauty routine. Their packaging is seriously adorable AND sustainable too!
- BLK + GRN is a marketplace of Black artisans who’ve created a range of all-natural wellness products from bath and body to menstrual care to motherhood, they’ve truly got it all! Their marketplace connects people with natural lifestyles, high-quality products, and toxin-free brands. We’re sure you’ll find an all-natural product to love!
- Calling all insomniacs and #TeamNoSleep community members! Goodnight Darling Co. has got a line of products and sleep regimens to get you back to sleep and living your best life. Sleep is no joke and it’s time to take it seriously, Goodnight Darling has got a range of natural products from candles to bath soaks to tea blends guaranteed to put your insomnia to rest.
Home & Lifestyle Brands:
- PUR Home is an all natural, eco-friendly laundry detergent and household cleaning product line made from organic and raw ingredients that are always plant-based, biodegradable and low in toxicity. Founder and CEO, Angela Richardson, took their dedication to sustainable living a step further by creating compostable and recyclable product containers made from recycled newspaper and cardboard. And if that wasn’t enough, they also never test on animals OR source ingredients from companies who do! It seriously can’t get much better than this.
- Bolé Road Textiles was founded by interior designer, Hana Getachew, who hoped to bring her love of Ethiopian Textiles to her Brooklyn-based clientele. She began designing Ethiopian inspired textiles that pay homage to her upbringing in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and merges traditional styles with her own personal aesthetic. All of her products are hand-woven in Ethiopia and available for purchase on their website!
- BORNINDIGO candles are made from sustainable, non-GMO, and food-grade certified coconut wax. They only use lead-free, cotton wicks to create the safest, clean burning candles. And guess what?! Each and every scent is made from majority natural ingredients with only miniscule traces of man-made ingredients and they’re always free of phthalates, parabens, and are non-toxic!
- It’s no secret that when repainting your home, it can be really tricky to find paint that’s actually safe and non-toxic. CLARE Paints is the solution to that very problem! They’ve got Zero VOC paint & colorants which means they’re 100% free of toxic, carbon-based solvents that pollute the air and pose health risks. They’re also GREENGUARD Gold Certified so every product meets rigorous emissions standards, releases fewer pollutants, and supports healthier indoor air.
- Elan Byrd is a Miami-based multidisciplinary and textile designer who creates absolutely gorgeous wall hangings inspired by ancient civilizations, their architecture, symbols, and use of materials. She creates one-of-a-kind, small quantity items made from natural fibers, linen, and repurposed vintage grasscloth.